Blog 1

Describe an example from your life of when you were taught using each method described in this article: behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism.

I am very interested in learning. My father used to say that people continue to change and grow throughout their lives and that each stage of life has its own challenges that people experience. He also used to say that these are necessary challenges at each stage of life and that it is important to overcome them.  Reading this course blog, I first learned that there are three different methods of Learning Theories: behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism. In my first blog, I will describe how I have used those three methods in my life.

Behaviorism:

It is the multiplication tables that I learned in my early elementary school days. In Japanese schools, multiplication tables are learned in the second grade of elementary school. The way I learned it varied, and I sang multiplication tables rhythmically to memorize them. My way of learning was to compete with the class like a fast-talking game to see how fast I could say it. I practiced over and over again until my body responded naturally.

Cognitivism:

My experience is that in college, I learn in a way that is similar to this method. Until high school, tests and final exams were simply a lot of memory work. Therefore, they ended with the action of memorizing. However, after entering the University of Victoria, I had to not only memorize the contents and terminology of my field of study but also explain them logically. A typical example of this is when I have to logically analyze my opinions and ideas and compare them with what I have learned in reports and other documents.

Constructivism:

I utilized this method most recently. I am an intern on a sales team, and the members of the team share their actual sales and communication skills and knowledge with each other. The most typical example of this is to do sales role-plays with multiple people. By giving each other feedback through role-plays, we improve our knowledge and skills. We are also able to share our active knowledge with others, which can be immediately put into practice in the actual workplace.

1. ms25

Hi Rikuto, I really liked your anecdotal experiences with each learning theory. After reading your blog post, I now understand the creative aspect of behaviorism and how it can be used to solidify behaviours. I found it interesting how you sang to memorize multiplication tables. Why do you think this singing method wokred over other methods?